Tuesday 25 June 2013

The Kestrel Has Landed!!

With the variety of wildlife at Glamis there is rarely a day that passes without an opportunity to see something that brightens up your day. So when I was informed of the Kestrel nest in one of the Castle turrets I thought "this is too good an opportunity to miss!"

Sure enough after watching for just 10mins I saw a Kestrel appear from the turret. This nest has been used for about 10 years and has successfully produced chicks in the past. I took the opportunity to go up to the roof and have a glance in the nest from a distance with my bino's and look what I saw.







There are 4 chicks in the nest and look to be in good health. Its difficult to know exactly what age the chicks are other than they must be older than 14days as the mother broods them constantly for about the first two weeks.

I decided to set up a camera trap to see if I could get some footage of the parents feeding the chicks and if you follow the link below you can see what I got! Needless to say I was very excited with what I captured.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqGTAbxN_nw&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

To try and limit any disturbance I have now removed the cameras and wont visit again until nearer fledging time to try and film the chicks taking their first flight in the world so keep checking back with me and feel free to comment!

3 comments:

  1. Amazing footage, Kevin! Looks like at one point they were all just staring into the camera :) Worth another trip up to Glamis I reckon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amanda! Yeah really lucky to get the footage.Your always welcome up at Glamis :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic footage! Love to hear them calling to mum/dad :)

    ReplyDelete